Biomedical Terminology Engineer - Boston, MA
UnitedHealth Group Incorporated
Innovation. Adaptability. A passion for analytics and problem solving. If those traits brought you here, this opportunity can take you much further. Humedica, now part of Optum, is serving the health care marketplace with the information tools and analytics solutions that will fuel change going forward. We're well past "big data." In fact, we're using "great data" to uncover new solutions and novel marketplace opportunities. If you thrive on making an impact in an evolving market, we should be talking. Join the expanding family of UnitedHealth Group companies and help shape history. You'll help us improve the lives of others while doing your life's best work.
We are looking for a Biomedical Terminology Engineer who is passionate about using information technology to improve the quality, safety and efficiency of the health care system.
The environment is fast paced and innovative. We are looking for smart, innovative employees who will take ownership of their responsibilities, work collaboratively and always look for ways to add to the personal and professional growth of the company and their peers.
Our ideal candidate will combine practical terminology development and maintenance experience with an understanding of the management of healthcare data and data quality. For the current opening we are particularly interested in experience with DTS terminology modeling tool. This work requires an understanding of biomedical terminologies, use of metadata, knowledge representation and other basics of medical informatics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a subject matter expert in industry standard terminologies within the organization
- Lead terminology modeling and mapping projects
- Participate in defining the Humedica standard terminologies
- Operate advanced terminology development tools that Humedica adopts and/or builds
- Participate in the implementation and use of clinical data quality systems and processes
- Work closely with clinical informatics specialists in knowledge representation areas
- 2+ years of biomedical controlled vocabularies experience
- Experience with vocabulary browsers and authoring tools
- Experience in applying principles of ontology in concept creation
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Ability to define requirements, develop project plans in the development of software tools to support clinical terminology model
- Experience with mapping between terminology systems
- Ability to work creatively and flexibly, both independently and as part of a team
- Competence with PCs and Windows Office applications
- Desire and ability to learn new skills, systems and processes
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience working directly with software development professionals
- Experience with Apelon’s Distributed Terminology Systems tool
- Experience with LOINC, SNOMED and RxNorm
- Experience in healthcare information systems development
- Basic understanding of laboratory medicine and medication domains are preferred
- Masters degree in a computer science, medical informatics, health information management, clinical discipline or equivalent work experience
Keywords: Clinical terminology, Informatician, Knowledge Engineers, content modeler, vocabulary author, SNOMED modeler, terminologist, Apelon’s Distributed Terminology Systems tool, LOINC, SNOMED, RxNorm, medical informatics, biomedical controlled vocabularies, SQL
What can YOU do with the right information? At Humedica and Optum, the possibilities and the impact are limitless. No matter what your role is at Optum, you'll be empowered to ask more questions, develop better solutions and help make the health care system greater than ever. It's always fresh. It's always exciting. And it's never been more important.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
See full job details and apply at employer site